I love to put my own twist on Indian dishes especially Indian street food and snacks! These dishes are usually an overload of flavors and textures so they’re fun to play around with even more! For this twist, I turned the usually complicated Dabeli into easy dabeli sliders with pomegranate relish.
Dabeli is a veggie burger that is a street food snack that originated in the Kutch region of Gujarat India (the reason why it is also referred to as a Kachchi Dabeli). It literally means “pressed”. The name is derived because the potato filling is pressed between the burger buns.
A dabeli is a spiced potato filling sandwiched inside a buttery bun, topped with diced onions, spiced peanuts, pomegranate arils, crunchy sev and a trio of chutneys (more on that in a bit!). Dabeli masala is a dry mixture of spices, consisting of red chillies, black pepper, dried coconut, clove, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, star anise, turmeric and cardamom.
Assortment of Spicy, Tangy Chutneys
Remember I mentioned the trio of chutney’s that usually get drizzled onto dabeli? Here is the line up:
- There’s a fiery garlic and red chili chutney. It uses a TON of fresh garlic and dry red chilies. Lots of flavor but especially heavy on the heat!!
- A sweet and sour tamarind date chutney – The classic chutney that is always paired with any savory Indian snack. It gives you those sweet and tart flavors you need to pair with the heat!
- And of course traditional spicy cilantro chutney – another staple Indian chutney! A delicious, fresh and spicy chutney with tons of earthy flavor.
After reading the description of Dabeli doesn’t it make you hungry?? And also a little overwhelmed to make it yourself? Because that’s how I feel!!! Lol Where’s my Indian takeout menu!?
A Simpler Dabeli
So my version of Dabeli is a lot simpler in preparation but missing nothing in flavor!! Because I definitely love shortcuts but not if there’s a compromise in taste!
So what did I do to make Dabeli easier and quicker to prep?
- Reduce the number of chutneys! – Dabeli’s are just an overload of chutneys right? Which is great for the flavor but not so easy to assemble.
- Added the chutney flavors into the potato filling! – So I couldn’t completely take away the chutneys! So instead I just incorporated the tamarind and cilantro flavors right into the potato filling. That way, you’re not missing out on any of the traditional flavors but you’re also not worrying about making so many little items for one dish!
- Then I grabbed some store bought toppings and masala – Pop into your local Indian grocery store and grab a pack of Dabeli masala (seasoning mix) and don’t forget the sev and spicy peanuts while you’re there!
Here are the components of my Dabeli Sliders:
- Spicy, sweet potato filling – Mashed potato filling seasoned with Dabeli masala, tamarind date chutney, onions, garlic and cilantro
- Kashmiri chilli garlic mayo – switched out the traditional chili garlic chutney to a creamy mayo. Its a simple prep of Kashmiri chilli powder, fresh grated garlic and mayonnaise. I like to make this ahead of time. But then I also like to use this on other sandwiches as well, so make sure there’s enough!
- Pomegranate relish – Mix of pomegranate arils, cilantro, diced red onions. For that classic crunch of Dabeli!
- Additional items needed – slider buns, sev, spicy peanuts
If you’re still missing that cilantro chutney flavor, this Jalapeno Cilantro Chutney is perfect in the sliders!
Believe me, I made these for parties and just said they’re Dabeli. No one noticed! No one complained! These Dabeli sliders with pomegranate relish were simply devoured! So try this, if you’re craving Dabeli and looking for a quicker prep!