Minced Chicken (keema) in a Indian spiced tomato coconut curry sauce
I love this chicken keema curry dish not just because it’s delicious and the kids love it but also because it involves ground chicken, so there’s a lot less prep with ground chicken. you can really just focus your time on preparing the sauce. Once that’s ready, cook the ground chicken and mix everything together. Very little fuss.
Since there is almost no prep involved in the chicken, I try to focus on the sauce. I cook the sauce separately and then throw it into a blender. This helps to get all of the flavors of the onions, tomatoes and spices really fused together quickly.
This is one of those one pot dinners. First cook the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Then add in the spices: garam masala, ground cumin, turmeric and salt. Turn off the heat and pour the mixture into a blender.
Keeping the sauce in the blender, it is time to cook the ground chicken. Because its ground chicken, you just have to keep crumbling it while it cooks. Once the chicken is cooked, you can just throw the blended sauce make in. To make this dish extra creamy, I like to add in coconut milk. I love the addition of the coconut milk because it is creamy and tastes rich without making the dish unhealthy.
Why Use Coconut Milk?
- An excellent source of vitamins and minerals – High in fat and calories so use it carefully and it may boost heart health and provide other health benefits.
- Great alternative to cow’s milk
- Perfect substitute to replace heavy cream in curry dishes
- Does not change the taste of the dish!
I like to serve this with some naan, paratha or rice.
Don’t forget to complete this spiced chicken keema curry meal with some additional condiments like:
Spiced Chicken Keema Curry
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro optional, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large skillet to medium high. Add the whole spices: whole peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick to the oil. Allow to heat for about 1 minute so the spices can infuse into the oil.
- Add minced onion, stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and the dry spices: garam masala, cumin, turmeric, salt to taste.
- Stir in the vinegar and coconut milk. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer the mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth, or you reach your desired consistency. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the skillet on medium high heat. Add the ground chicken. Crumble the meat with a spatula as it cooks.
- Once the chicken is cooked, stir in the sauce that is reserved in the blender. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro if using. Serve warm with naan or rice!